Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Importance of Cross Training

Good morning!  

It has been cross training city around here this week!  Jess has a lot going on with work this week and since we are in Michigan solo I don't have the opportunity to get out for a run.  I cannot express enough how grateful I am for my treadmill at home.  It might be on the sadder side of the treadmill scale but it gets the job done!  I won't be able to run again until Friday but I am totally OK with that because I am using the time to catch up with my good friend Chalene.  


When I first started running I never saw the need for lifting weights or doing anything extra.  I just wanted to go out there and run come home and be done.  While running did help me lose those the last few pounds, it was my strength training that actually changed my body.  A friend of Katie's had just completed 60 days of Chalean and her transformation was just amazing.  I wanted to see results like that and so I took the plunge and ordered the program.  I've talked about my results here and I have recently restarted another 90 days.  I want to see more changes and with spring and summer right around the corner and I want to be ready.  


Strength training is vital to becoming a stronger and healthier runner.  Building core muscles and strengthening your legs and back are going to help you avoid an injury.  I cross train at least 3 times a week and an ideal week will include 4 cross training sessions of some sort.  My newest obsession are Barre workouts, that class works muscles I never even knew I had!  I love to be sore after a great strength training session, I know I am super weird.  I can feel the difference in my stamina when I run as I get stronger and I feel like I can hold myself up better with the longer mileage.  Another reason cross training has become more and more of something I enjoy is because I can do it anywhere.  Sometimes I can't always get out for a run because I honestly just don't have any way to do it.  My husband has a demanding job, he has to travel quite a bit and I am the main care taker of our kids.  With that comes some finagling in my organization.  While nothing can ever replace the feeling I get from running I am glad I can at least do something when I am home bound with the girls.  Plus as the girls get older they have actually started to do the videos with me and get a kick out of all of the funny moves.  


I have been saying it since the beginning of the year, but honestly I just don't want to hear excuses.  I especially don't want to hear them from myself.  Don't make up a bunch of excuses as to why you can't strength train or don't have time or whatever.  Make time, if you want something bad enough and you are done with the current state of your body then do something about it.  Nobody but you can make the changes and you have to start somewhere.  Muscle is going to change the way you look and I don't know anybody who doesn't look good with some muscle on their body.  With that being said its time for me to do my Burn 2 before we head to Jungle Java!  Sounds like an interesting place...I hope the java is good!          

What is your favorite way to strength train?  

How many times a week do you schedule your strength training? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...