Wednesday, May 15, 2013

2013 Portland Rock and Roll Half Marathon Preview

Good morning!  

I took the last 2 days off of running and cross training mostly from laziness but I'll claim it's because this is a taper week.  That is right the Rock and Roll Half Marathon is this Sunday, woop!  So far Sunday's weather is calling for overcast and a high of 62 which we all know is an awesome race day forecast.  I have never ran a Rock and Roll race before so I am excited to try it out.  I have picked up a few tips I'll share with you but I am a newbie to this particular race, plus this is only my 2nd Half Marathon.  

Katie & I before our 1st Half last June 

Packet-Pick Up 

Packet Pick-Up is Friday 5/17 from 12:00-6:00 AND Saturday 5/18 from 9:00-5:00 at the Portland Expo Center which is NOT downtown.  Click here for directions to the Expo Center and here for more information about packet pick-up.  I would plan on carpooling to the Expo Center because there is an $8 parking charge or you can take the Max and avoid parking and traffic all together.  Want some more unsolicited advice?  If you are a local I would go to the Expo on Friday if possible, Saturday will be a mad house!  Saturday is when all of the out of town racers will be there picking up their stuff so you'll probably run into a lot more lines and people.  Also before you head to the Expo you'll need to print off a confirmation sheet and bring it with you otherwise no packet and that is just sad.  Go HERE to get your confirmation sheet, they won't accept anything off of a mobile device.

Race Day

The Half Marathon starts at 8:00 AM and will be based on a corral/wave system.  Basically if you are super fast then you'll start at 8:00, I foresee my start time around noon, I kid.  I'll probably start around 8:05 or 8:10 so no biggie really.  Give yourself plenty of time to park, check your gear, use the bathroom a couple times and get into your corral with time to spare.  Rushing around feeling frantic isn't a great way to start off a fun race day so get up early!  You can change your corral you just have to do it at the Expo/Packet Pick-Up, maybe you'll see me in that line!  There will be pacers (YAY!) and they'll be placed based on corral so be sure you are in the correct corral if you are looking for a specific pace leader.  I counted the aid stations on the course map and if I can count right (which sadly isn't always the case) there are 8 water stations, I've heard rumors that there will be GU handed out at some of the aid stations.  I don't know how accurate that is or if GU is even your thing so I would plan on bringing your own fuel.


Saturday's Run for Boston was a huge boost to my running moral!  Not so much to my picture taking abilities, but to my mojo yes!  I am really looking forward to this race and am excited to run through Portland.  I haven't done a long race since the marathon back in early October so I am feeling pretty pumped.

Katie & I after the Portland Marathon 2012

Will you be at the Rock and Roll Half this weekend?  

What is your favorite part about a race expo? 
- I love having all of the running vendors in one spot, my wallet does not.



2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Oregon. You are going to have an awesome time at Portland Rock 'n' Roll Lot's of enthusiasm. I ran it last year, it was my 2nd half (this year's will be my 10th... guess what my favorite distance is). I hope you are successful with your time goal.

    My favorite about a race expo is all the different samples and some of the presentations. Last year I listened to the Q&A with Kara Goucher (she was using it as a training run in preperation for the Olympics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to listen to a speaker at an expo I am usually running so late I never make it in time. Samples are good too, I always forget about the samples, now I am excited for the samples! :) I love the half distance too congrats on #10 this weekend, that is exciting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...