Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Playlist Favorites

Good morning!  

I did a tempo run this morning and...wait for it...I think I liked it.  It was a 2 mile warm up and cool down with the 2 mile tempo in the middle, nothing fancy but it did the trick.  All of terms are new to me, when I trained for my half and full marathons last year it was mainly just endurance.  2013 is about working towards some goals and today was the first run towards that.  


I started with music but ended up back with Parenthood, anyone else watch Parenthood?  I found it last year and wondered why I haven't been watching since the beginning, so good!  It got me to thinking about what motivates me during a run and how it is different when I am on a treadmill versus an outside run.

Treadmill Run 
- I prefer to watch something, it takes my mind off of the fact that I am just running in place.  I can't read while I am running but have thought about downloading some audio books.    

Outdoor Run
- It honestly depends on what type of run I am heading out for.  If it is my Saturday group run I just leave my headphones at home, there is so much to take in and so many people to chat with there is no need for anything else.
  
- When I am running around town getting in miles or clearing my head I'll listen to a podcast.  My favorite podcasts are Marathon Training Academy, Runner's Academy & Another Mother Runner.  

- I also do a lot of my runs with nothing, no music, no podcast just me and the neighborhood.  I remember when I first started running I was heading out for a 5 mile run and by the time I was almost out of my neighborhood I remembered I had left my headphones at home.  At first I panicked thinking I couldn't run without music but found that half way through I was actually enjoying this run more than others.  It is nice to just be centered entirely on what you are doing, since then I started doing more than half of my runs with no headphones.  You should try it sometime if you don't practice it already.  I save my music for the last part of a long run if I really need it.  During the marathon I plugged in my music at mile 18 till around 23 and it helped me through those tough miles.  I really like country music, it is hands down my favorite kind of music but I also listen to a lot of other pop music while I am running.

My Current Playlist Favorites 
1. Coldplay - Paradise 
2. Bruno Mars - Locked Out Of Heaven (my current power song) 
3. Florida Georgia Line - Cruise           
4. Will. i. am. - Scream & Shout 
5.  Britney Spears - I Wanna Go 
6. Little Big Town - Tornado
7. Little Big Town - Pontoon
8. Nitty Gritty Dirty Band - Fish'n in the Dark
9. Miranda Lambert - Fastest Girl in Town (Always makes me think of Katie!)
10. Carly Rae Jepsen - It's Always A Good Time  

Do you listen to music while you run?  

Treadmill running, most either hate it or love it, where do you stand?  
- I am learning to really appreciate the treadmill, I think it is going to really help me with my tempo runs and speed work.  Plus its nice to have a bathroom and water fountain close!  

Any audio books you would recommend for me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...