Friday, October 5, 2012

Portland Marathon Weekend!

Good morning!  I got a run in yesterday afternoon while the girls were in preschool and it turned out to be a really nice part of the day.  All of the trees are changing color in Sherwood and the air smells like Fall.  Fa-la-la-la-la, I sound like a Disney character.  


So this is it!  Friday is kick-off to the 2012 Portland Marathon!  I am going to the expo tonight with Katie and I couldn't be more excited!  This week has been major taper week for me and I have been trying hard to get a lot of rest at night, stay away from alcohol (slipped on Monday Night Football) and carb up.  I've gotten in a couple runs that were slow but felt good and I feel really good about Sunday.  I have my race plan and I am going to stick with it. My ultimate goal on Sunday is to finish feeling good with a smile on my face.  This is my first marathon and I am going to enjoy every minute and mile of it.  Of course my mind is already on my next goal, my next accomplishment but for the next couple days I am going to keep my mind just on Sunday.  Crossing the finish is going to be a big moment and I can't wait!  When I look back on my training I feel really good about all of the work I put in.  I was able to do two 20 milers and three 16 milers, would I have liked to do three 20 milers? Yes!  But doing two showed me that I can do it and while the first one hurt SO BAD the 2nd wasn't so awful and so I know hitting 20 on Sunday will be a little better than the last one.  I am going to stick with my pacer and high five as many people who will let me.  As Matt Johnson would say on his podcast, this is my victory lap for all of the hard work I've already put in and I am going to enjoy every minute.  


I know my girls are only 3 and there little memories won't remember much of Sunday but it'll feel good to show my girls that they can do anything they want to do and work hard for.  If I never would have started running I would have missed so many amazing memories this year.  I was never athletic, never in shape or fit and I never had any sort of muscle definition, LOL!  But now?  Ya I do.  I am in the best shape of my life, I am going to run a freaking marathon and it feels good to say that.  And you know what?  You can to, if you want to run a marathon, a half martahon, a 10K, whatever it is you can do it!  Don't tell yourself you can't because of this that or the next thing you go out there and you do the work and of course you can do it.  You are the only one standing in your way, not your imaginary ailments (excuses) you throw out there.  I use to throw out all the same lines I hear from other people now, but it just comes down to wanting it.  You either want it or your don't and I wanted it! Come Sunday when I get that medal around my neck and my finisher shirt I will have accomplished something pretty great.  How do I do it?  The support of my family, without that none of it would be worth anything.   


I'll share all of the fun stuff from the expo tomorrow!  You can follow me on instagram if you'd like and don't want to wait.  I am not much for waiting personally :) 

Instagram - Run Daniella Run 
Twitter - Run Daniella Run 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and have so much fun!! You're so right...we're the only ones that can really get in our way. I ran 9 miles today and will soon be running my second half. I used to not even be able to run a mile. Never say never.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...