Monday, March 4, 2013

The Controversial Vegetarian

Hi! 

Yesterday was a rest day which worked out pretty good because I woke up with an angry cold.  This morning it is still hanging around but no sense it letting it get me down.  I headed to the gym with my MIL this morning and did a slow 3 miles, got off stretched and did some of my favorite Chalean strength training exercises.  I decided to get back on the treadmill and do one last mile increasing my speed at every .20, I went from 6.0 to 7.0.  Nothing too fast, but I just wanted to get my heart rate up before we headed home.  It felt good to get up this morning and start the week off with a good workout and I love that my Mother In Law is getting up and coming with me while she is here visiting.  It is nice to have a partner at 5:30 am, it really makes a difference to get me going!  Sandy looks forward to going and that motivates me to be sure I am up and ready to go too, I don't want to let her down.  It is amazing what a motivator it is for me to have a workout buddy and know someone is counting on me to show up.  She is very encouraging with my running and doesn't give me slack about being a vegetarian, she is also the first in Jesse's family to defend me if anyone brings it up in a negative way.  I appreciate that because I do get slack for being a vegetarian and some feel I run too much which totally makes me laugh!  Me, run too much?  I wish I could be running more!   


Do you get negative reactions and backlash from those close to you for your healthy lifestyle?  I am not saying that I am super healthy because I don't eat meat, I am healthy because I am active and make good food choices more than 80% of the time.  I choose to not eat meat not for only health reasons but more so for ethical reasons.  I do not support the way that our animals are treated in the food industry and I do not trust the way the meat is handled and then sold to the consumer.  I chose to become a vegetarian based on personal choices and I don't push it on anyone, my girls are not vegetarians.  Since I don't eat meat anymore it has created a greater opportunity for me to make healthier choices.  I've started to get more creative in my recipes and I have started eating vegetables I had never even tried over a year ago.  


Sometimes I can easily brush off the comments I get from people when they hear I am a vegetarian or that I run too much (ha)!  Sometimes it can really frustrate me, it depends on who is making the comment and how they go about it.  I get a lot of questions like "what do you eat if you don't eat meat?", "how do you get enough protein?", "isn't it bad for you to cut out a food group like that"?  I also get some pretty off the wall questions but we'll keep it to those top 3.  

What do you eat if you don't eat meat? 
- I eat A LOT.  I probably eat more than necessary, I love food and eat something every 2 hours.  I eat a lot of avocados, Ezekial Bread, chia Seeds, Kashi Go Lean cereal, tons of green vegetables, peppers, beans etc.  I do eat pasta but I try to keep it to once a week or less, it is more of a treat.  I eat way to much sugar which is a sticking point for me, I know if I cut back I would probably clear up my skin and lose a few lbs.  

How do you get enough protein?  
- Adult Women need 46 grams and Adult Men need 56 grams of protein per day.  I eat those requirements and then some on an average day.  Green leafy veggies have lots of great protein, beans, eggs, dairy, etc.  I am not lacking in protein and eating a steak or chicken or small child won't get me any healthier.  I ran my first marathon 100% on a vegetarian diet and I didn't die or faint or fall apart at the seams.        

Isn't it bad for you to cut out an entire food group like that?
- Nope.  I could go on and on about all of the homework I have done on this subject but we as humans just do not need nearly as much meat as we consume on a daily basis.  We chose to eat that much and have at it!  I support you in your choice and do not judge the carnivores in my life, I just ask to not be criticized in return.  

Stepping off of my carton of spinach and will get back to running portion of this blog.  

What Am I Doing This Week?! 
Monday - 3 easy miles + 1 mile speed up 
Tuesday - 6 miles  
Wednesday - Cross Training 
Thursday - 5 miles 
Friday - Long Run 
Saturday/Sunday - Walking all over Niagara Falls!  Cannot wait!

Are you a Vegetarian or Vegan?  

What is your workout/run today?  

Do you have a workout/running buddy?  Does he/she keep you motivated?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog and wanted to say keep up the good work. I'm vegan and training for my third 1/2 marathon. I guess I have been extremely fortunate. No ever badmouths my choices in diet or exercise, but when I do get questions it mainly stems from them not understanding that healthier lifestyle choices are an option. When people ask about running or being vegan I look at it as an opportunity to plant a seed that maybe they are capable of being healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love to share what I have learned since becoming a vegetarian with people :) It is the critics that won't quit that bug me :) I am so glad you found my blog! I go back and forth about vegan, there are so many great recipes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...