Monday, March 25, 2013

Chicago Day 1 Part 1

Good morning!  

We got home late last night from Chicago and while we are beat, it was the best weekend hands down.  As soon as we drove into downtown Chicago off of the expressway I was smitten.  It was 10:00 at night and the streets were filled with people and cars, not something this girls sees in Sherwood!  Sarah and Katherine were both mesmerized by all of the tall buildings and it was so fun hearing them oh and ah over everything.  We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in downtown Chicago and it was a really nice hotel, we even had a view!  


Saturday morning we got up and ready for the day and our first stop was the Willis Tower, formerly the Sears tower.  I was nervous about doing the tower because long elevator rides and heights aren't usually a great combination for me.  I didn't want to miss anything my girls were doing though so I sucked it up and I am so glad I did.  The views from the 103rd floor were incredible!  I think we got lucky because it was a clear day and we could see everything while we were up there, I could not believe how far we could look out.  I also can not believe my girls were able to do this.


It still makes my feet tingle just looking at this picture.  
Plus I somehow worked up the courage to have this picture taken. 


I was desperate for a family picture of us up there!  And yes that is a picture of a picture, I roll pro like that.  We are actually on a plexi-glass clear floor, that isn't Photoshop and it is freaking me out the more I look at it.  Totally worth the panic attack though, the picture is pretty cool and I would have regretted not doing it.  
This is the building we were in, Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) 


And this is me zoomed in so you can see where we were standing, yikes!    


After we did the Tower it was time to meet up with my Great Uncle Tom (my mom's uncle).  I talked to his wife, my Great Aunt Debbie, on the phone and she said he'd be meeting us around the tower.  We decided to walk towards the river since that was where he would be coming from and as soon as we walked by each other I just had a feeling it was him!  I have only met him one time prior at my Grandfather's service 12 years ago but just knew it was him.  

He works as a Chicago Police Officer in the Marine Unit and he took us for a ride down the Chicago river in one of the police boats.  It was amazing!  He and his partner let the girls drive the boat the entire trip down the river, they were so gracious.  It was a beautiful clear day and part of the river was still green from the St. Patrick's day festivities the week prior.  I can now check that off of my list, I have always wanted to see the Chicago river green and couldn't believe I was actually on it while it was green!  I actually teared up...what a dork!


When we reached the end of the river we docked at his "office", could you imagine this is where you work everyday?!  The job is a challenge though I can only imagine...Chicago cop, hello?!


The view of the Chicago skyline from here


No words, breathtaking.  

This was all by 1:00!  It was the longest, quickest, best day in a long time.  I am going to have to break our trip down into 3 different parts because I don't want to leave anything out.  Mainly for my own record, I do not want to forget anything.  I promise this will become a running blog at some point again :)  I can also tell you the Chicago marathon WILL happen next year, Katie has already agreed to it!  

Have you ever been to Chicago?  
- Tell me about it!

What did you do this weekend?  
- Besides a lot of walking, no running actually occurred.  Tell me about your run instead!
      

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...