Wednesday, August 7, 2013

2013 Huckleberry Half Marathon Preview

Good Morning! 

Yesterday morning I woke up to two little girls snuggling up to me and I was so confused.  Then I realized I must have set my alarm for PM not AM, whoops!  It all worked out because I got to snuggle with the girls and instead had a great run this morning.  I felt like I was floating and the miles just ticked by even though I had positive splits! HA! 


I was looking back at my runs from August 2012 and I was shocked to see how much progress I've made in the last year.  I took a screen shot of a similar run this time last year. 


I remember thinking last year that there was no way I would ever improve my average pace.  It wasn't until I was in Michigan and following Train Like A Mother's Half Marathon Own It Plan that I started doing any sort of speed work.  I was always afraid of speed work and thought it had to be done a certain way to really gain any progress.  As the months have gone on and we are back home now I am learning how I personally like to incorporate speed work and what works for me.  I don't have an ideal pace in mind I just want to make sure I am not letting myself get stuck in a rut.  Also I never want running to become a chore, so if I find myself not looking forward to a run I need to reevaluate what is going on.

This weekend is the 1st Annual Huckleberry Half Marathon and 10K.  The event takes place in Welches, Oregon which is on the way to Government Camp on Mt. Hood.  Katie and I are registered for the Half Marathon and Katie has been running the 10K course with the race director for the last couple of months.  I ran it with them once and it really is a beautiful course that runs along the Salmon River and has quite a few rolling hills (I love hills!).  

{Downhills}

Packet Pick-Up will be Friday August 9th at the Clackamas REI from 3-7.  There will be bib pick up and bag check on Saturday morning starting at 6:30.  The Half Marathon starts at 7:30 AM and the 10K starts at 8:00 AM.  There will be a post-race party starting at 9:15 where you can take a picture with BIGFOOT!  Plus the finisher's medal is a locally done laser cut Bigfoot medal, score!  If you are looking for directions or other parking information go HERE so that I don't mess it all up and send you to the beach or something.  I am coming from Sherwood so I plan on staying the night with Katie on Friday since she lives in Sandy.  Give yourself plenty of time in the morning to get to Welches there really is no fast way of getting there.

Are you running the Huckleberry Half or 10K this Saturday? 

When is your next race? 

Are you getting excited for the fall race season?!  
-I AM!

  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...